A Travellerspoint blog

Geiranger, finally

sunny 16 °C

Finally got to Geiranger, albeit 24 hours late from original plan and around 12 hours from the revised. Fair to say, our room was ready when we arrived, although the cleaning lady turned up five minutes after we had dumped everything in our room, to clean it. I said it wasn't required as we arrived a day late and had only been here 5 minutes. She looked over my shoulder and her eyes said...."really, you can make that much mess in five minutes?"

The room was grouse and had a balcony overlooking one of the deepest fjords in Norway. 300m deep in parts and there was three cruise liners docked in he fjord when we arrived. An absolutely beautiful setting that we are already taking for granted. The views in Norway are too spectacular for their own good. Three waterfalls can be seen from our balcony and the Seven Sisters are just around the corner.

After trashing our room we decided to walk the 1.5km into the centre of Geiranger and battle the cruise crowds. Three liners could be carrying 10,000 shoppers! Who could miss that?

Found a great cafe with a deck overlooking the water. The food was bloody fantastic too. Louisa went for the platter for two! Salmon, salami, prawns, dried tomato, and heaps of other stuff. I went the baked ocean trout. Wow. We both hopped onto each other's meals and in Norwegian terms not that expensive. Food, 2 glasses of Viognier and two beers was about 750 NOK, which is only $125 AUD.....shite that's a lot of cash for lunch. I could have got three burgers for that!

Couldn't resist the photo option from a pontoon looking straight down the fjord, but the one and only gust of wind that day picked up my cap and placed it in the middle of the fjord. It started floating towards some other pontoons so I thought a cap is a cap and went after it.

I noticed that a guy had come up to Louisa on the pontoon from which I had lost my cap. He later confessed that he was praying I'd fall in and he had the video camera ready. What is it with Yanks? Always pretending to be there for help, but hoping things turn to shit!

At 3:30pm I went on a 2 hour fishing cruise. Yeah, yeah shut up!

About 25 people were on the boat and it was pretty well bedlam with kids, parents, and people who were definitely experiencing fishing for the first time, all trying to fish from the one boat. There were rods and lines everywhere. I was just trying to stay out of harm's way, but when two kids decided to have a sword fight with their lured up fishing rods it was almost time to abandon ship.

The first two spots in the massive fjord came to nought and the crew were starting to look concerned. We were fishing in 102m of water, and am not sure if dynamite works at that depth. They AlWAYS catch heaps of fish. They had scattered about 15 plastic tubs around the boat for all our fish when we started. That is more optimistic than an Australian batsman putting sunscreen on before he goes out to bat.

Time came to reel in our lines and head back to port and I got a bite and nailed the blighter. Being the gent that I am, I gave my rod to one of the sword fighters who was having a fair crack with no luck. He didn't know what I wanted him to do and his parents encouraged him but the line had gone slacker than I would have liked. He still had the fish but as he tried to lift it into boat it got away. 2 hours, no fish.....and no smart arse comments from the readers please!

Big day tomorrow with a ferry trip, and three buses to Bergen.

Posted by mljjs 13:27 Archived in Norway

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint